Man reading paper and wearing Wiseguy Suspenders

Suspenders or braces

So, what is the difference between Braces and Suspenders (if there is any difference)?


If you call suspenders braces, you are possibly British or into tailored clothing. Braces is the term the Brits use for the accessory and traditionally the term refers to Button-on suspenders. These button-on suspenders were historically made of higher quality materials and intended for business and dress wear. At Wiseguy Suspenders, we have developed the easy connector system which makes it possible to switch from metal-clasps to button on suspenders in a flash. We chose to use the word suspenders in our brand but it could as well have been Wiseguy Braces.


Suspenders, on the other hand, can be fastened with metal clasps/clips. For some, this is the distinction between the two. This is mostly an American term as the Brits use it to describe what we’d call in the US, a garter belt to hold up hosiery.

Wiseguy Suspenders attachement

Above: Clip or clasp suspenders

Our conclusion:

We have many Wiseguy friends in the US and Britain and we notice both terms are used by Americans or Brits. Our conclusion, there is not really a very clear difference between Braces and Suspenders. For us at Wiseguy Suspenders, all that counts is that they do the job, holding up your pants and never letting you down!

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before being published.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.